Friday, November 18, 2011

World Premature Day and Our Sweet Premie

Yesterday, November 17 was World Prematurity Day.  It is meant to raise awareness of the many families that are touched by prematurity.  Even though my situation wasn't such that I went into random premature labor or had a baby with a defect or preexisting condition, we had a baby 3 months early.  Nothing you can ever read and nothing you can ever say can prepare you for the moment when you find out you are bringing a life into the world too early.  I never once thought about the fact that I might deliver my baby early.  Even on the ambulance ride to JCH, I was thinking about the fact that I would probably be off for a couple days and everything would be fine.  But, the realization that I was in labor slowly sank in.  I was scared, so very very scared.  Babies aren't supposed to be born at 28 weeks.  I was so confident in my doctor and the fabulous nurse that I had, but I still wasn't sure what we were getting into.  Would his lungs be okay? Would he have serious issues?  I had a million questions, but thankfully, not a lot of time to really allow any of it to soak in.  Before I knew it, he was here and he was trying to cry!  The sound still was so sweet to me.  My sweet baby was showing me he was a fighter.  We began on such an adventure, taking it hour by hour at first - then day by day ... Until he was growing steadily and was working on eating well.  Hunter had one dose of serfactin shortly after he was born.  And what a fabulous medicine it is.  He was breathing well on his own and only needed a ventilator for a  little tiny bit.  Despite the scariness, and total lack of control over the situation, it turned out so much better than most people's experience.  We can celebrate our premie and his being healthy and growing.  We are so lucky where some are not.  Our lives have not been easy, but we have so much to be thankful for. Each smile, each peaceful look make me understand how special our baby is.  Today, he is 4 months old.  He has been with us for 4 months - and our lives have changed so much. We went from traveling back and forth to Lafayette everyday for 8 weeks to having him home and not really getting out, to now, trying to get into a routine with me back to work and him being watched by someone else.  I continue to be amazed at his developing personality and LOVE watching him grow.  Say a prayer tonight for the many families are that sitting in NICUs all over watching over their babies.  Say a prayer tonight for the families that aren't able to take their babies home.  Even when things seem bad, someone else is worse.  And that is why we say thank you for our angel every day.  What great plans God has.

No comments:

Post a Comment