Sunday, November 6, 2011

Not So FLEETing ...

Our little Hunter has yet to have his FLEETing moment.  Tyson got home at lunchtime yesterday and volunteered (yes, VOLUNTEERED) to give him the goods.  Hunter was increasingly uncomfortable and starting to get pretty fussy, which is really unusual for him.  He was also not all that interested in eating, which bothered me.  The bottle said within 15 minutes to an hour you should see some resolution to the issue.  I then proceeded to leave.  My final words to my sister were, Hey, I gave him that suppository, so expect an explosion.  She is such a good sport, and a fabulous aunt because after the sarcastic, "Gee Thanks!" she stayed.  I was sure by the time I got home, there would be success and we could all breath a little easier, literally and figuratively!  We had nothing, and Hunter was cranky and was totally uninterested in having his 5 o'clock bottle.  I was trying not to panic, because I have some anxiety issues anyway.  After a phone call to my mother (who was vacationing on with her sisters in Florida) and the fabulous NICU staff, we decided we better make sure things were not kinked up or stuck.  I don't know that I would have worried quite so much had Hunter been a normal baby, but we were on Day 6!  Day 6 of all entrance and no exit.  My sister and her fiance were here to watch the boys and she stayed with me and we headed off to the ER.  So, my image of a relaxing evening at home with the three loves of my life, was totally shot.  A rushed call for back-up on Hayden, a run through McDonald's, a gas fill up, and we were off.  All to be told, "I really think we should give it some more time." Really?? REALLY??? "So I drove an hour and brought my premie into the germ filled Emergency Room for that?!"  The doctor proceeded to paint a lovely picture of what they could do to him, but that was followed by, "I don't generally recommend that."  The doctor's pleasent exam did produce a small amount, making our boy feel better I think.  I thought maybe they would say thanks for bringing him, get on out of here ... instead, "We prefer that you pay your co-pay prior to leaving the hospital."  For the small price of $150, I got some piece of mind, a wonderful visit with my sister, an ice cream treat, and a visit with some of the night-shift nurses in the NICU.  They loved seeing our big boy, who weighed in at 11 lbs 2 oz (but remember the back up issue for 6 days ...) and I loved seeing them.  So many of our nurses from the NICU kept me sane during our LOOONNG stay, and helped our angel get bigger and stronger. 

So, we are still waiting on the bomb, yet to be dropped.  They recommended leaving a towel under him in anticiaption.  I am guessing it's going to pop in the middle of the night, isn't that when all fabulous parenting things happen? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment