Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Mystery of Family Genetics ...

Perhaps one of the neatest things about being pregnant is wondering what your child will look like.  I can remember looking at my sister when I was pregnant with Hayden and actually saying out loud, "I am so afraid that my baby is going to an ugly baby!" I know NOW that it wouldn't matter what my child looked like, I would think that they were the most precious baby in the world.  I also know that in the fear of the unknown, it was a legitamate concern!  I mean, who hasn't seen the Seinfeld episode "You gotta see the baby!"
Even though I feel like I have two of the MOST adorable children ever - I do wonder how they ended up with random bits and pieces of everyone.  This topic comes about because Tyson and I are sitting here looking at the RED hair that Hunter is growing!  RED!  Where in the world did he come up with RED hair?!  Anyone in either family want to help me out?  I know that my brother (who Hunter looks a lot like) has red in his beard when he grows it. It's so hard to believe that our two children are so much different.  I mean, Hayden is blond, as blond as blond can be.  And even though people say that he looks like me (and in some ways he does), he looks a lot like Tyson's baby pictures.  Hunter looks NOTHING like Hayden, looking more like my brother than anyone. Tyson just took a picture of him on his phone and said, "Oh Joshie Junior."  The boys are total opposites, but again, SO adorable.
One of the joys of being a mother is holding your baby for the first time and seeing who they are and looking at them and seeing those bits and pieces of where they came from.  The tiny noses and squinty eyes all developed from the people we know and love.  And even as they grow older, the wonderment never really stops. You realize they talk like you, or cough like their great grandpa, or have a cowlick exactly like their cousin.  Its amazing.  Hayden is 2 1/2 and just recently he has really started to look like a BIG kid, not a baby, not a toddler, but a kid.  He is tall and skinny and his feet are growing faster than he can wear out a pair of shoes.  And our sweet Hunter started so little that his chubbiness has changed him so much.  I can't wait to see how a couple years changes him.  Then, the mystery of their family genetics can continue.  And we can wonder where they get other unique family traits :)

No comments:

Post a Comment