Saturday, November 26, 2011

I am Thankful ...

We have had a very trying year.  So many times this year, I have felt like once we stand up, we get knocked back down by something.  This is a part of life, living with the hard times and learning to deal.  I feel like I could go on and on about the negative things in our life, but at some point, you have to put that negativity away and find the positivies.  Eventually, the negative will just weigh a person down where they feel like they can't get back up.  I have had an emotional weekend thinking about how lucky we are despite all that negative.
* We had a tornado hit our house in May.  The main damage was to a couple out buildings and a grain bin that were located on the back of our property.  Everything was a mess and the grain bin actually ended up in the field across the road.  BUT - Our house, by the grace of God, was spared (minus the patio doors being blown open).  Some people lose everything, clothes, pictures, toys, beds - and we are fortunate to have never missed a night in our own home.
* After a long fair week (which is a CRAZY busy time for our office), I was coming home from work and was hit by a semi.  I was 28 weeks pregnant with our sweet little boy, who we had already named Hunter.  It was a very scary ordeal and the very thought of possibly losing our little angel makes me tear up.  I am so thankful to have been transported to a hospital that was able to care for Hunter, who made his grand entrance via emergency c-section and weighing in at 2 lbs. 13 oz.  Fear of every kind washed threw me during those months.  BUT - We met some amazing people from our time with Hunter in the NICU and I can never say enough wonderful things about the nursing staff at St. Elizabeth East.  We hope to stay in touch with them and stop in for visits when we can because without their great care, we might not have the greatest gift of all - our son.  We also have a happy healthy baby boy that is loved tremendously by his big brother.  He is growing and I am sure will soon be trying to keep up with Hayden!  We also were able to get a new car (out of necessity, but much better for our family of four).  I also have a deeper appreciation for my family.  They cared for Hayden and me and prayed for our boy. 
* I work for the Newton County Extension Office and this year, the county has had to reevaluate the budget.  I am thankful that my job was spared for the time being.  In a year or so, I might not be able to say that, but TODAY I am thankful.  Beyond thankful for having insurance and wonderful co-workers!  Some people are not as fortunate to have a steady source of income.  Some people do not have insurance.  We do, for TODAY, and for that I am thankful!!
* Our recent issue is not as serious as the top ones, but we had a problem with our septic tank.  We got it fixed with relative ease.  It could have been much worse, which some people I am sure experienced. 

See, it's easy to have a pity party for yourself and get down on the negative. Thanksgiving is a wonderful to evaluate the many blessings in one's life and I feel beyond blessed this year.  We have a warm home, steady income, two beautiful boys, and we love each other (most of the time :) ).  Everyone should take a minute and try to put a positive spin on something "bad" that has happened.  Right here in our own community, we have people that are worse off, I am sure.  So many people have lost their parents, siblings, spouses, or children.  Some people are battling cancer EVERYDAY and with them, there families are too.  To those people, I have a world of things to say thank you for, and so should you.  And remember, God hears our prayers, so say a prayer for those that need to feel his presence in their lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment